Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Four Easiest All-Star Appetizers You'll Ever Make

I'm all about solid appetizers. There is nothing that I LOATHE more than a lazy appetizer. Mom, I'm looking at you. Move over chips and dip. We are far superior to your kind. If I see a jar of Pace and a bag of Tostitos within 10 miles of a party, I will flip. I've found that appetizers don't have to be hard. And even more than that, they can be super easy but make you look like a pro in the kitchen. These are my four current go-to, all-star easy party apps that taste amazing and people always mow through. And if you're thinking about going the chips and dip route, at least have the decency to punt and do an antipasto or cheese plate. Chips and dip have their place. With men in a room full of Lazy-Boys and football.



Don't get scared because it looks like a pastry that came from a little French boulangerie. You'll be fine. I promise. It's basically a fancy pre-made phyllo dough recipe. And if you watch Ina's video tutorial, you'll be golden. The other awesome thing about these? You can FREEZE them ahead of time, slice them right before the party, and have them out on trays in less than 15 minutes. 



This recipe should be called "tasty apps for dummies." It's awesome. And so simple that you'd think there should be more to it. I had it at a friends house and knew I couldn't leave without the recipe. This recipe calls for Roma tomatoes. And obviously you can use whatever you like. But I recommend using heirloom cherry tomatoes. First of all, they're at the peak of their season in all of their sweet, summery glory. Second of all, they add color and a slightly sweeter flavor. And no chopping! I also think cherry tomatoes taste way better year-round vs other tomatoes. 



This guy might be my fav. It's light but comforting at the same time. The downside, is that the you have to make a lot of this if you're serving 10-12 people. At least 4 asparagus per person. Do the math. And normally I hate doing labor-intensive individual appetizers. But this one is totally worth it. Pour a glass of rosé and turn on your favorite Pandora station and you'll be fine. You can easily make these ahead of time and broil them right before everyone arrives. This recipe suggests grilling them. I do the exact recipe but I broil mine in the oven on high for 7-10 minutes until proscuitto is crispy and the asparagus start to brown. Also, if you don't want to use Boursin, just do proscuitto. And, being from Cullman, sometimes we don't have the fanciest ingredients available at our Piggly Wiggly. If you can't find Boursin, regular chive cream cheese works fine. The whipped kind is easier to spread.



Holy Tasty Moly! These things are dangerous! And so freaking good. We have a monthly recipe club with a different theme each month. Last month was one-bite wonders: tasty, one-biter hors d'oeuvres. This was my favorite from the night. It's THREE INGREDIENTS. And so easy. Store bought pimento cheese (my favorite is Palmetto Cheese), pepper jelly, and phyllo cups. This is also a man-pleaser. 

No comments:

Post a Comment