Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Get Over Hump Day: Put a Boot in the Butt of Discouragement

My humps, my humps, my humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps. I do love my lady lumps, but I'm not so fond of my humps. If Hump Day was only on Wednesday, I don't think I'd mind it so much. But the truth is, Hump Day is a four letter word called L-I-F-E. I can feel a Hump Day coming on like a bad case of PMS. In fact, it's worse than PMS because at least PMS is already labeled as the curse among women. And I know how to cure that curse-- 60% dark chocolate with sea salt-- or even better, HauteChocolat's Dark Chocolate with Bacon. Try it. Your life will never be the same. Especially when you find out that other people know it's the best chocolate ever and they charge $8 a bar.

The sneaky curse of Hump Day seems like an IV drip of subtle Bummerness that lasts all day and the next thing you know, you've existed through weeks, even months, or years in constant Bummerness Hump Day without really, truly, being joyful. And like any good, Christian Southerner, you try your best to do the "life" form of dark chocolate-- read your bible, give a random act of kindness, journal your thoughts, listen to praise music, help an old lady across the street, think positively, stop complaining, pray, read an uplifting book, and on and on and on. Yet the PMS cramps of life rage on. So today, my advice to myself is to stop trying to claw my way over my hump. Instead, I want to see my humps the way God sees them. I don't think he calls them Humps. I think he calls them Roller Coasters.  Here's my prayer for today,

"Jesus, thank you for my humps. I'm going to call them what you call them: Roller Coasters. Today, I'm going to throw my hands up and enjoy the ride. After we get off the Roller Coaster, will you take me to get a funnel cake and let me play a game to win a big, fake stuffed animal (the ones my parents would never let me play because they said it was a waste of money), just because it's fun? Thanks. And I love you too."

When I think of God's heart, this video sums it up. In life, we're content getting a backpack with coloring books and Oreos. But that's not big enough for God. He wants to take me to DisneyWorld, the Happiest Place on Earth, but instead, he calls it Life. And even more than that, He knows the things in my heart that seem too great to dream about. Dreams that are so big that when they actually come true, I can barely believe it's happening to me. Those are the dreams I want to believe in. I want to have Disney Land dreams. (if for some reason the video doesn't automatically load, here's a link to it.)







No comments:

Post a Comment