Thursday, August 14, 2014

Wicker: The Comeback Kid

In my childhood, I wept bitter tears over the headboard that my mom made me have in bedroom. It was her's as a child (which was in the phase when hand-me-downs of any kind, vintage or not, were so uncool). It probably didn't help her cause that I was also forced during that same time period to join the band using her vintage clarinet (probably circa the same era as her headboard) because "every kid needs to know how to play a musical instrument." Needless to say, the cork on the clarinet had decomposed due to years of rotting away in the crushed red velvet case and I sat there with my vintage instrument when all the other kids got to play. Essentially, I was the nerd in the band. Which is pretty hard to do. It's another level of outcast.

I digress. Back to the headboards. Ok, so my mom had this-- at the time, I believed-- truly heinous headboard that she made my room the regretfully chosen landing spot for. Note: it was beautifully accented by my mauve walls. Some moms are cut from the retail therapy cloth: where buying something fixes everything, whether for themselves or their kids. That's not my mom. She's of the cheap resourceful breed. Which typically means, one way or another, she will hoard find a reason to never get rid of something because one day it will come back in style. There was great gnashing of teeth in the Nesbitt home when I threw away her J.Crew pleated front khakis and black leather, rubber-soled Mary Jane's. She still claims they're classics that will one day be in. Nine times out of ten, she's wrong. But occasionally, she nails it. In this case, she nailed it. And I would give anything to have that once-despised headboard in my house. Unfortunately, I think it met its demise at a forced hoarding intervention yard sale. So I'm going on the record to say, Sorry, mom. You were right. See how amazing wicker is looking these days (it's not your grandmother's patio furniture).







Most all of the rooms I've run across that use wicker have a heavy boho vibe. Which normally I don't mind. It's not my personal aesthetic but just like an occasional trip to Anthropologie, I can normally find something I like. But in the case of wicker, I'm talking heavy boho vibe. Like 50 shades of Urban Outfitters with stale patchouli lingering in the air. I couldn't find an image that worked, but I'd love to see someone use wicker in a non-gypsy princess way. Here are my favorite wicker finds! Shopping secret: the best place to look for wicker is Craigslist, Etsy, and Ebay. There are still plenty of people who aren't big fans of peacock wicker furniture and are selling it cheeeeeap. 



The Family Love Tree is the ulti-source for all things wicker. I like to spread the love with sourcing around and try not to just show a ton from one place, but sometimes, one place just does it better than the rest. And when it comes to reproduction wicker furny, The Family Love Tree is better than rest.








(on sale and only one left)


No longer available. 

on Ebay, so hurry! 





No comments:

Post a Comment