Monday, August 18, 2014

Heaven in a Glass: The Best Iced Coffee You'll Ever Drink. Ever.

I have found the nectar of the gods... Duncan Donuts Original Blend Cold Brewed Iced Coffee with Cream, Agave, and Cinnamon. Any mouthful of a drink name needs to back it up with ridiculous flavor. And this does.

It was a life-halting moment. And like any good life-halting moment, it started where most life-halting moments do: Wells Fargo online banking. It was one of those seasons when I couldn't figure out where all of my money was going. I swore up and down to my dad that I wasn't shopping-- not even a Target raid-- but I was constantly low on funds. Constantly. So, I hired a budget coach and realized that approximately $400 of my unaccounted dollars were being ground, brewed, and drained at America's silent dollar killer, Starbucks, every month. EVERY MONTH. Four hundo. Dalla bills. At Satanbucks. It's cruel. Absolutely cruel.

Needless to say, I quickly realized my Venti lifestyle need an immediate and drastic overhaul. Many... actually, a few moons ago, Birmingham used to have this great little market in Homewood called Tria Market. And Tria Market had a hidden liquid gem, their Iced Toddy coffee. The barista explained to me that they cold brewed their iced coffee for 12 hours. I had never tasted something so smooth, so rich, and so delicious in my life. Most iced coffees can be very bitter and acidic, however, this version is anything but.

I'm not a warm drink drinker. I'll do the occasional hot chocolate in the winter, but that's about it. There's something about a warm drink in the south that just doesn't jive with me. And it's way too cozy. Having a warm cup of coffee feels like a slap in the face to the fact that I have to wake up. All that warmth makes me want to crawl into bed. I prefer its cool caffeinated counterpart. It's Carpe Diem in a cup.


BRADLEY'S BEST COLD BREWED ICED COFFEE


STEP ONE


1. Start with a bag of your favorite coffee. Even if you're typically a dark or French roast drinker, go for a light or medium blend. Most breakfast blends are a good option. The darker roasts are typically too strong and can.... hmm... go out of you just as fast as they came in you (catch my drift?). Yeah, betcha won't be trying French Roast with this any time soon. 

My favorite is easily Dunkin Donuts Original Blend. I used to turn my nose up at it in the coffee aisle (they have a jelly donut flavor, for crying out loud) but don't hate till you partake. 


 STEP TWO

2. Pour 1 standard-size bag of ground coffee into a gallon jar or large stock pot (I find that stock pots are easier). Pour 1 gallon of water over the grounds. Stir until combined.


 STEP THREE

3. Let the iced coffee mixture sit overnight-- at least 12 hours. 


 STEP FOUR


4. Line a large colander with two paper towels-- it's essentially a jumbo coffee filter. I like to separate a sheet of two-ply paper towel so it filters faster. This photo is just an example. I like to use a bigger colander. Place the colander over another stock pot. Slowly pour the coffee mixture over the the colander.


STEP FIVE

5. Once your coffee has filtered through your colander contraption, pour into a pitcher and refrigerate. It's good for two weeks! 

FlutterBy Tips: I like to add a squeeze of agave and a little half and half over the iced coffee. Then I pour it back and forth between two cups to combine. Top it off with a little cinnamon! 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon a day can help lower your bad cholesterol (LDL). 

PHOTOS FROM SALLY PASLEY VARGAS AND NOSHONIT

1 comment: