Friday, October 5, 2012

Bibbity Bobbity Boo! Gold Pumpkins 101


Blingin' baby.

Hello fine friends and lovers of all things gold, glamorous, and glorious! I've been putting the Midas touch on things lately, specifically pumpkins. I love holiday-related decor but I hate that it typically clashes with my house. Since I haven't been using lots of black, orange, or death-related themes throughout my home, I decided to make Halloween work for me. Enter, pumpkins and gold paint.


What you need: 
-Flat paint brush
-Metallic paint. 
Tip: choose one that works with the finishes in your room. In this case, I had a muted gold chandelier I wanted to play off of. Don't get gold leaf paint-- you have to prime and seal it. This is just regular metallic paint from Joann's but Michael's and Hobby Lobby carry it too. 


First, let me say, the beauty of painting pumpkins as opposed to carving would be two things:
1. No operating required. This is a pumpkin blood and guts free project.
2. Your vision is far more likely to come to pass by the hand of a paint brush than a dull kitchen knife. I think Martha Stewart ruined carving pumpkins. I could totally handle the triangle eyes and silly mouth-- straight, geometric lines aren't so tough. But when she started doing things that I could barely draw with a pencil, let alone carve with a knife (and let's be honest, who is really going to buy the "pumpkin carving saw") through a thick vegetable, I decided I needed a new plan B.


Get varying colors, shapes, and sizes. I got these "heirloom" pumpkins at Home Depot for only $9 a piece in shades that worked with my wall color: grey/blue, white, and moss/blue.


Pick ones with smooth surfaces (not the bumpy ones) to make painting easier.


Start at the top and work your way down rather than the middle or bottom. It helps keep your pattern even.


I got my inspiration from fabrics I like. This one came from the Euro sham in my bedroom.


Isn't he so cute? I picked him because of the stem.  You might have to double-coat them so you maximize your metallic factor. 

ps: I have a major DIY project I did last week. Can't wait to share with you after the weekend. 

Bon weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment