Friday, June 24, 2011

Feast Your Eyes On This, Friday

There is something about the 40s-60s that I find so effortlessly chic and glamorous. I know God doesn't make mistakes but we have chatted a time or two about why I wasn't in my youth during that era. The hair, the clothes, the intense cat-eye liquid liner, the fact that guys could dance well and couldn't text you/facebook message you to ask you out, the "it's ok to want to be a housewife and not always be the 'I am Woman, hear me roar,' type of girl." Here are a few lovely things to dwell on before the weekend commences. Just in case you were wondering, I am also writing this to remind Jesus why I would have been a wonderful candidate as a lady of leisure during this time:

Slim Aarons
Because floral swimcaps were another beach accessory option.

Slim Aarons
  And crochet head-to-toe was considered demure.

from Life
 And girls wore red lipstick when they went waterskiing.

Slim Aarons

When working on your tan was considered responsible. 

from Life
Relaxing meant you had a productive day.

Slim Aarons
 Men could wear floral prints crazier than yours and didn't care if your yip-yap dogs sat on their Rolls Royce.

Slim Aarons
 Cocktail hour started at breakfast. And it was normal.

Brigitte Bardot, photographer unknown 
 Big hair didn't conjure thoughts of bump-its or Snooki.

Slim Aarons
 Champagne buckets were part of your patio furniture.

Slim Aarons
And most of all. It wasn't classified as animal cruelty to dye your poodle pink so it would match your pillows. 

Bon weekend!



5 comments:

  1. OH-MY-GOSH Bradley this is incredible. I love everything about it. I often wonder why I wasn't born in that era too...would have been so nice.
    I miss women not dressing up and wearing red lipstick all the time.
    I blogged about it here: http://bit.ly/jUR5Mi

    Keep it up. I am loving your blog.
    xo,
    Mary
    www.sothentheysay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obsessed. Don't you think God would want us to incorporate the charm of the era above in our lives today?

    Starting off, I will don bright red lips during all water sports over Independence weekend. love love & xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so amazing! I saw your blog on facebook and had to check it out. Love it and I so agree with you about wishing I was from that time period!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I whole-heartedly agree?
    Why, God, why wasn't I born in the early 60's? I can so see us, big-hair, thick eyeliner, and red lipstick, enjoying cocktails with our breakfast (or shall I rephrase that as 'cocktails as our breakfast'). It seems like a world away, but it was only 50 years ago!
    I will do my best to carry on the idea that its okay to be a housewife... so far I'm doing good, just missing one thing... a husband!

    Loving the blog! It brightens my day!

    ReplyDelete